Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Classroom Decoration Ideas for the Social Studies Classroom


Every year in July I am drawn like a kid in a candy shop to the classroom décor section of any store. I can't help myself - it's just so exciting to imagine how my classroom will look when I return to school! While I'm definitely not rushing my summer vacation away by any means, there's just something special about the beginning of the school year that makes me smile...and begin envisioning how my classroom will look when my students first walk in the door.

If you teach middle school students, like me, there's just one little issue. All of those decorations are adorable...but definitely not designed for older kids. I love decorating my classroom and making it feel warm and inviting, but I also want to fill it with items not only themed to my curriculum, but that also add value to my students' academic lives. 

If this is a dilemma you're facing, too, here are some ideas to use in your classroom this year:

1. Flags and Bunting
Summer is a great time to purchase flags and bunting in the United States because there are always Fourth of July sales! I love running to Michaels, Target or Hobby Lobby after the holiday and grabbing new decorations for my classroom when I'm teaching American History or American Government. Flags and bunting are perfect for hanging around the classroom, on bulletin boards or over windows to easily make the classroom feel "homey" and themed to your year's curriculum! You can also make your own if you want a different color or pattern to match your personal classroom style.


2. Posters
Posters are a great way to decorate your classroom with your curriculum theme of the year while providing value to your students' learning. I've collected a few posters over the years like a copy of the Constitution, some motivational quotes and other history-related content. This year, I'm adding new posters to my decor. I had a ton of fun making them and I'm excited to continually reinforce these two questions: What is History? and Why Study History? There are three different sets, so if you are teaching American History, American Government / Civics or Ancient History, check them out! :)

3. Pictures
I love using pictures in my classroom! A small selection of personal pictures near your desk can help students see people and places that are important to you. I also love taking photos of students learning in my classroom, on field trips, as a class, etc. and posting them around the room. It really helps students to "own" the space and makes it feel personal to us for the school year!

4. Word Walls
A word wall is a portion of your classroom dedicated to showcasing the vocabulary you are teaching. The more students see and interact with content vocabulary, the better they will understand what it means and how it relates to their current studies. You can write these words on a white board or type and print them out to post in your classroom. I love using word walls that include images and definitions to reinforce what is being taught in the classroom. If you are looking for easy print-and-go resources, check out the Word Wall section of my TpT store. The word wall resources are organized by unit so you can find what you need! :)



5. Student Projects / Work
I've saved the best for last! Student work is always the best "decoration" I can have in my classroom. Whenever I add new work to my walls or change a display, students are always keen to walk over at the beginning of class to see what is posted. As such, I always make sure to try and feature all the kids' art/projects/work at some point during the school year so that everyone gets the recognition they deserve! :)   It also serves as a great example of what we've learned in recent units when visitors walk through our classroom. 

What other décor ideas do you have? I'm always on the look out for creative ideas for the classroom and I'm sure others are as well! Add your ideas to the comments - I'd love to read them! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment