Monday, October 9, 2017

5 Great Websites for Teaching About Colonial America


When planning for each unit of study in my classroom, I spend a solid amount of time searching the internet for websites and online resources that can supplement the activities I already have. I feel so excited when I find one that fits the needs of my students and I'm sure you do, too! 
 
If you're on the hunt for websites and online resources for your unit on the colonies, here are some that might help:

1. Colonial Williamsburg

This has to be one of my FAVORITE websites to use for finding online resources for the colonial times. The multimedia tab of the website seems to go on forever with interactive activities for a variety of subjects. I love the interactive paintings (like the portrait of George Washington and Trumball's "The Declaration of Independence") along with the cute games. Several of the games are geared towards younger kids so there's resources available for several grade levels in one website! Click HERE to visit the site.

2. PBS: Colonial House

This page on the PBS website has lots of great information and interactive tools about life in the colonies. Some of my favorite tools are the 360 Tours (it's like going on a field trip without all the paperwork!) and 1628 Across the Continent where students learn about what was going on beyond the borders of the colonies. The website has several other games and interactive content that you might find useful, too! Click HERE to visit the site.

3. Mrs. Nussbaum's 13 Colonies Interactive Map

Mr. Nussbaum's website has a fun little interactive map that students can explore to learn about this history of the colonies as well as the major cities in the New World. It's a fun resource to use for a daily warm-up or two! Click HERE to visit the site.


4. Library of Congress: Colonial America Primary Sources

While engaging students in online, interactive content can be both meaningful and fun, we can't forget about the importance of using primary sources as often as possible in the classroom. The Library of Congress is packed with primary sources that are a click away. In fact, click HERE to see what they have collected for Jamestown and Thanksgiving.


5. YouTube

It's no secret that I love to use brief videos to introduce or reinforce certain concepts. Here are some of my favorite finds from YouTube:

 
 

1 comment: